DIY Optimus (RCA) LX-5 Speaker mods on the cheap

Always in a quest for getting a little bit better sound out of the equipment that I have on hand – for as little money as possible – I turned to the internet looking for any advice on tweeking my speakers.

I have a pair of Radio Shack “RCA” branded Linaeum tweeter equipeed speakers. They used to be sold as “Optimus LX-5” speakers from Radio Shack. with the name change they replaced the driver with a much better driver than the LX-5’s original driver – and thats about it.

These speakers sound pretty good, but have way too much upper bass emphasis. I found several tips online – one of which was to fill the speakers port hole with drinking straws.

I tried this, and did not notice enough of a difference to make it worthwhile.

So; I opted to add some mass to the drivers and to the speaker face to dampen unwanted resonance and also to add some poly-fil to the cabinet.

Adding polyfil to the cabinet, in laymans terms, essentialy makes the driver think that it is in a bigger box.

So, here is the speaker:

3252129332_2119399afc

After popping off the grille you need to remove the rubber cups on the front panel and remove the four screws that hold the plastic front to the aluminum cabinet:

3255028995_184182ef54

And, here is the inside of the cabinet as it was manufactured:

3255861154_52ce5324bf

And the driver board:

3255861922_758396e47b

3255863004_00594363d6

First thing I did was to add some mass to the driver basket to reduce resonance.

I used Ideal brand “DuctSeal” which is available in one pound bricks, it is a non hardening putty designed to seal around air ducts, outside electrical boxes, etc.

3255864138_8cd0f65983

3255865158_e77e1b4882

3255034725_20156d7f6c

I used it to smooth the transition between the basket and the magnet; and also on the basket itself.

3255866692_2e481d578f

3255867360_067a13efdc

then I tapped all over the driver board to listen for areas that resonated “wrong” and applied DuctSeal in the appropriate areas to eliminate the resonance.

3255869248_9f267c6bfe

3255038811_0f5837215e

Then I turned my attention to the cabinets themselves:

3255040079_bfbd7971c6

3255040797_a9a4996d29

Following along with the straws inside of the port holes; I tried adding foam to the port holes as well:

3255041393_84c032ba06

3255042133_6904daa375

3255873622_d9b3b678d0

3255043739_015082e1af

But, these pieces of foam were promptly removed after the speakers were reassembled; as in my opinion it was just too much, and made the speakers sound far too “nasaly”

Having had sucess with my speakers; I turned my attention to the absolutely worthless Radio shack RCA branded subwoofer that I am using.

First off; I removed the driver:

3255875750_f80bcfe970

3255876454_d0ca3702b6

Then to stiffen up the cone I “painted” it with “Mod Podge” – which is a sealant / glue / finish product that is available in most craft stores. One of its intended purposes is to “seal” jigsaw puzzles together after they have been assembled.

3255046353_5a16e13fb1

3255047023_f86442ea68

3255047577_21eb835bde

While the “Mod Podge” was drying I applied some DuctSeal to the subwoofers driver:

3255878984_e76ae2c01c

For the heck of it; I applied some Mod Podge to the cardboard tube in the subwoofers enclosure:

3255048851_3b17dc7aa4

Then I also added some poly fill to the subwoofer enclosure. Typically this is not needed in subwoofers; but this subwoofer was exceptionally “honky” with an emphasis in the upper mid-bass.
My additional reasoning was that this subwoofer is only worth about $10.00; so even if I screw it up- no big deal.

3255049253_01ca30b78a

And; reassembled:

3255049855_264fd08f26

The improvements gained by these modifications were nothing short of amazing.

These speakers sound like something easily costing two to three times what these speakers initially cost.
I noticed when I was working on them that I could probably notice even more of an improvement if I were to swap out the ferrite core inductor for an air core inductor and replace the caps with better quality caps.

That will probably be my final upgrade to these speakers before I ultimately upgrade to a better overall speaker.

All in all though; this took me about an hour start to finish and its like having a brand new system.
I would say that it was well worth it.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply