DIY Speaker Stands

3252127636_62313f8d72

OK; before I even get into the project let me get something out there:

I probably could have purchased some speaker stands for the same amount of money that I spent on this project.

But they wouldn’t have been EXACTLY what I needed, and most likely they wouldn’t have been as well built.

When all was said and done this project cost me approximately $130.00 – although I have enough materials that if I spent another $25.00 on lumber I could have easily made one more set – and still had other materials left over.
All materials were purchased at my local big box home improvement store (Home Depot)

For this project I used

-A plank of Red Oak
-Some 3″ PVC pipe
-2 sections of All-Threaded rod
-Various Nuts, lock washers, and cut washers
-Metallic Silver spray paint
-Stain
-Rope caulk
-Sand

Since Home Depot’s lumber selection is nothing short of AWFUL, the only Red Oak that I could find was a stair tread.
But; if you ask nicely you can most likely find a Home Depot associate who is so desperate to avoid doing some type of an assigned project that they’d be willing to cut the lumber for you. (if you pre-measure and mark the lumber; and teach the Home Depot employee how to use their saw) Which will save you a bunch of time at home.

For my stands I decided to use 11.5″ squares for the base and 8.5″ squares for the top.

3251310063_d468bea595

I also picked up some cheap-o drill bits since I don’t have any good bits left that aren’t out for sharpening.

3251317669_325a534a3e

After marking the center points on each piece of lumber I used my drill press to make a recessed hole for the all-threaded rod and the nuts:

3251318277_0e808e4514

3252144964_3a0bf5be2e

After making the recess the appropriate depth for the washers and nut to rest flush I swapped the bit and drilled the hole all the way through for the all-threaded rod.

3251320599_877c4c203c

What it should look like –

Recessed side:

3251321461_42da5d9f2b

other side:

3251322223_41161aab27

 

Then you mark and cut your PVC so that the speakers will be at ear level when you are in your listening area – in my case it was 27″ – To get a straight cut I used my chop saw – but I didn’t take a pic of that.

3251326633_7e08e81345

After I cut the PVC to length, I marked the all-threaded rod to the appropriate length and then cut it with my dremel and cutting wheel – which I also didn’t photograph ;but I will share my embarrassment. The cutting wheel broke while I was cutting the rod and it spun back and hit me in the face; cutting my cheek. But “I’m good”

3251322991_3023907378

3252154704_23d8ab8d5f

Next I sanded the lumber to a nice finish with 220 grit sandpaper and stained it with a semi transparent white stain to match my other furniture.
Again, to match my IKEA TV stand I painted the PVC with a metallic silver spray paint. I prepped the PVC by rubbing off any sharpie, etc with an acetone soaked rag – sanding it with 150 grit sandpaper to take off the gloss – and then cleaning again with acetone before painting.

Then I assembled the bases by threading two nuts, a lock washer and a flat washer on the top side of the base plate and a flat washer, lock washer and nut on the bottom side. I also coated the rod with blue loc-tite.

3251286137_0f0dfbca49

3251287013_c7aa90421c

Next I used a cut-off section of PVC to mark where the PVC for the stands should sit on the base plate – and then wrapped rope caulk around the all threaded rod and the base plate in order to create a seal with the PVC and keep the sand inside.

3251287599_a0274c8112

3252113954_885419e13a

3252114458_a2f49da751

Oh, this is rope caulk – you pull it off the roll and press it into place.

3252107278_f52aedf996

3251282289_bb76a1ac39

Then applied another bead of rope caulk on the PVC pipe and pressed the PVC into the base

3251283665_da6541af1e

3252109904_b3aba9a4fa

Time for sand!!!

3252115214_1808846be2

3251291181_0460da5161

Once the stands were “filled” to the top I temporarily finger tightened the top in place and then picked up and dropped the stands several times to “tamp” the sand down and settle out any air.

Before settling:

3252118732_059d8e97e1

After Settling:

3252118292_4612587bee

Then I topped the columns off with sand until it would not settle anymore and capped it off with rope caulk.

3251300781_37ae49fa82

Lastly I put loc-tite blue on the all threaded rod, slipped the top plate on and bolted it down with a flat washer, lock washer and a nut.

3252123132_6f6434e3d2

lastly – and MOST IMPORTANTLY – i applied stik-tak to the speakers (for isolation) and pressed them into place.

3251298441_fa8890b05e

3252124892_02ab644522

Done!!

3252129332_2119399afc

I am astoundingly happy with these stands. When the music is really cranked up I cannot feel any vibration in the base of the stand, or in the floor.

After placing the speakers on the stand everything sounds much more defined and the bass is much tighter.

If you make some of your own – let me know about it!!

 

 

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply